Preventing Suicide is a key aspect of reducing Gun Violence. As a first step, it is important to understand the key signs of a possible suicide:
Key Signs to look for in individuals:
- Emotional crisis due to job loss, legal trouble, loss of a loved one or newly diagnosed illness
- Major change in behavior: depression, violence, anger/aggression, alcohol or drug use
- Increased impulsiveness, risk taking reckless behavior
- Expressing a desire to die or end his or her own life
- Putting affairs in order, giving a way prized possessions, impulse purchase of a firearm
- Withdrawing from activities they used to enjoy
- The risk is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss, or change.
For more information about Stopping Suicides, visit Stop Suicide San Joaquin.
Suicide Proofing (SuicideProof.org)