News about Cleveland School Remembers:
- Sactown News– A complete report on the Cleveland School Shooting:
- USA Today
- Time Magazine
- Fox News
- Stockton Record Cleveland School Survivors join push against gun violence
- Stockton Record Video:Remembering the Cleveland School Tragedy
California’s state Senate passed a package of 7 new firearms regulations, and If the California Assembly passes the package of new regulations approved by the Senate, California will continue to have the strictest, and most rational gun control laws in the country.Read the article here.
Stockton Record coverage:
Guest View column by Julie Schardt and Sue Rothman http://www.recordnet.com/article/20160302/OPINION/160309951/0/SEARCH
Lori Gilbert Column 3/4/16 http://www.recordnet.com/article/20160304/ENTERTAINMENTLIFE/160309873/0/SEARCH
Cleveland School Remembers’ part of holiday parade
“We’re moved by the impact that gun violence has on children, because we were impacted at Cleveland school. It carries with you all your life,” former teacher Julie Schardt said. See the full story ..
By Julie Schardt and Judy Weldon
Published: Thursday, Oct. 3, 2013 – 12:26 am
‘We’re better than this’ — Virginia Tech shooting film to screen in S.J (Stockton Record August 4, 2013)
Cleveland School Remembers (CSR) sponsors the viewing of “Living for 32”. Julie Schardt, of the CSR group, said her group’s members were intrigued by(Colin)Goddard’s story after learning how it propelled him into action. She said her group, (Cleveland School Remembers), is “not advocating people’s guns be taken away” and does not want to “threaten anybody’s Second Amendment rights.”
But she also said that without a nationwide system of background checks, “You can drive to Reno, go to a gun show, and drive back to California with a gun.”
Of the children who died at Cleveland Elementary, Schardt said, “We are living for five, in a way. We are living for those five and all the people and their families who have been touched by this.”
“Cleveland School remembers … has moved beyond ‘living for five,’ ” Schardt added. “We are dedicated to making changes in gun laws so our community (locally, statewide and nationally) can exist in a safer, more peaceful environment.”
Letter to the Editor from Cleveland School Remembers: Don’t be afraid to ask questions for the safety of kids. The Center to Prevent Youth Violence, in partnership with the American Academy of Pediatrics, has developed the Asking Saves Kids campaign to urge parents to ask their neighbors, relatives and friends if there is a gun in the house before sending their children over to play.
Stockton Mayor Anthony Silva joins Mayors Against Illegal Guns.
News Related to Gun Violence:
- Adolphus Busch IV Resigns From NRA After Gun Control Defeat In Senate (April 18, 2013)
- CBS coverage in December 2012, following the Sandy Hook School Shooting.
- 3 false claims about guns
Solutions & Opportunities:
Speaking out About Guns:
- Piers Morgan’s American gun control mission
- Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam speaks out about guns
- Almost a year after Newtown, does anybody care?
NRA & the Gun Market:
- Gun business booming as anxiety buying continues
- Why gun manufacturers fear the NRA
- NRA corporate donors
- The Militarization of the U.S.Civilian Firearms Market
News Around the Country:
- Tulsa shooting at Hmong celebration. 5 wounded
- 2 year old shoots self with mother’s gun
- Gun usage offenders more likely to be rearrested for murder than other felons
- Gabby Giffords to tour NY gun show to highlight the state’s new law as model for nation